Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Super Bowl Sunday

*first let me make a quick note that I honestly am HORRIBLE with the graphics aspect of all of this and whatever this green-looking thing I created is, is most DEFINITIVELY NOT staying for much longer and I'm not really feelings this title....*


Yeahhhhhhh GIANTS!!! So, in light of the recent super bowl win (sorry Patriots fans) I was inspired to write my first post about what I brought with me on game day. 
Anyway... I was debating between nachos and potato skins (both of which are my favoriteeee) and ended up going for the potato skins. I didn't go to a HUGE party and I knew everyone else was brining something as well so I ended up making only about a dozen and thisss is how I made it happen:


1. I couldn't making something out of the nothing that was in my empty refrigerator, so my two roommates and I ventured out to face the crowds of fans stocking up at Stop & Shop to buy:


- 6 large baking potatoes (aka 'russet potatoes') 
- 2 8oz. bags of shredded cheddar cheese
- Bacon bits (running late as usual I opted for these to save time, but it would have been SO much better if I cooked & crumbled actual bacon, next time) 
- 1 pint light cream
- 16 oz. sour cream
- Sticks of butter
- Garlic Powder
-Salt & Pepper


2. After we got back the first thing I did was preheat the oven to 375 & wash the potatoes. Once the potatoes were dry they were prepped to bake: stab them with a fork on each side about five times, cover each one lightly in olive oil and cook in the oven for an hour. I know, thats like FOREVER, but I just did my homework and got ready in the meantime....


3. Once the hour was up the potatoes were done I took them out to cool off. If they don't past the 'fork test' and aren't soft when you poke them, put them back in the oven for a few more minutes until they are. Once they were cool enough so I wouldn't burn my fingers off, I cut the skins about 1'' thick lengthways of each side and threw the rest of the potatoes in to a large mixing bowl.






4. Add in one whole bag of the shredded cheese, half a stick of butter, half of the light cream and sour cream and a few small shakes of salt, pepper and garlic powder. Thankfully my roommates bake and I had a hand mixer to use this time but I've mixed this all together before with just a fork or any other sort of mashing/mixing utensil I could find in the house.
5. After it's all blended together (it should be creamy with no chunks of potatoes) test the flavoring and add more seasonings to your personal taste. Just make sure you save AT LEAST half a bag of cheese to top it all off.


6. Lastly, I covered the tops of the skins with the potato mix, topped that with more shredded cheese then topped THAT with the bacon bits and put them back in the over and then 15 minutes later ...
 ... about an hour later at the party, they were all gone. Super bowl success.


I ended up buying an extra potato and saved it for dinner another night this week & have a MUCH healthier Spring Break friendly version of this recipe. Same concept, just replace these ingredients:
- light cream = skim milk
- sour cream = non-fat plain yogurt
- cheese = ONLY to top the potato
- butter = MINIMAL piece
- bacon bits = BYE!
- ADD: steamed broccoli as a side
- 30 days until Mexico!

No comments:

Post a Comment